Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Egads, I'm a GEEK!

This morning I did a presentation to several managers on proposed changes in look, structure and philosophy for the website for my agency.

As I did that, I reflected back on some key dates in my technological life:
1970: Born

early 70s: I had Pong and Skeet for my TV! I was COOL!

1977: First computer programming courses - Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Basic Programming.
(Okay - I learned Basic "BASIC" programming. But I learned how to teach a computer my name, to draw pictures using asterisks, tell jokes, etc...but it was my first real introduction to computing. The computer console was about the size of my current desk at work, and the computers were larger than I was!)

1981:
Got my own Atari! Breakout rocks, Asteroids...leading to Pac-Man and all the other fun games.

1984:
Got my first modem...1200 Baud dial up. Now I was really cool. I was in one town, working on a computer located at another town and maintaining membership and databases. I was a teenager and I had a DOS based computer and was dialing two towns over to enter data. Wicked cool.

1989:
Got to college, PS/2 in hand and discovered the VAX system. Was soon using VAX to talk with people in Rio. Sao Paolo, Ireland, etc. Became an operator on the IRC Relay. Now I was cutting edge. I was crossing continents and time zones. How cool was that.

1995:
Was an early homesteader on GeoPages, later becoming GeoCities. Built my first website using HTML. There was no easy HTML editor or WYSIWYG editor...it was all coding and programming.

Fast forward 13 years...
I'm drooling at the thought of being able to work on a website that is not "mine." Sold a couple of domains that I had started to other users. Created several online presences that continue beyond me. And still...I am loving the idea of starting over again with another site, another direction.

I am geekette!

No comments: